Sunday, September 21, 2014

The best adventures are the unexpected ones


Thanks to the Air France strike, my flight to Vienna was canceled and my luggage was lost, but  I unexpectedly got to spend 36 hours in Paris.  Despite all the good things I've heard about the beauty of the country, I never acquired too much interest in visiting but am so glad I had the chance.

While entering the city, I noticed how crazy busy the train station was and how many different ethnicities there were in the people rushing around in comparison to Vienna.  As I stepped out onto the street, I felt like I was sort of in a movie setting: all the quaint restaurants, diners and cafés, the rush of people going to work, the French-African taxi drivers aggressively driving and yelling at each other.  Although there were lovely sites to the eye, I also took notice of the lovely stench of urine and sounds of dirty men cat-calling during my walk. All in all, the city reminded me a lot of New York, but much prettier.  

Surrounded by excited young travelers and party-hardy Aussies, I checked into my first hostel, not knowing what to expect.  I'd never stayed in a hostel and I just imagined it as being loud, uncomfortable and not too clean.  But after my stay, I can't believe I'd never had the "experience" of one before.  This hostel was an A+ in comfort, privacy and cleanliness and I met some really nice people. My three room mates were from Japan, China/Australia, and America. I also met another American who I explored the city with later that day.

I arrived very early in the morning, around 8 a.m. so I had about a day and a half to explore Paris until my flight the next evening to Vienna.  Totally jet lagged and tired, I promised myself I'd make the most of my time there and see everything I possibly could, so I dropped off my stuff in my room, took a quick shower and got a ticket to one of those Hop On, Hop Off buses to see the main attractions around Paris: The Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Orsay museum, Champs-Élysées Avenue, the Cathedral of Notre Dame, among a other sites.

The city far surpassed my expectations and clichés I had in my head.  It was romantic and gorgeous in the most absolute non-cheesy way.  Every corner and avenue was picture perfect.  I really felt that I was in the city of Paris compared to other monumental cities that I've visited, some of which didn't give me wow factor or make me feel like I was actually there in that city, in that moment.  I'd definitely go back there again.



Opera house:



The Louvre:













Champs-Élysées Avenue (avenue known for it's beautiful parks on each side and the expensive name brand shopping boutiques)

Eiffel Tower:

Monet and Degás exhibits were on display at the Orsay museum:





No comments:

Post a Comment